Clyde Valley Community Forest joins Calderbank House in skip
It’s some years since Calderbank House, near Baillieston, was destroyed, apparently the victim of a ‘mysterious’ fire followed by a quick sale to a developer
It was listed by NHS records thus: Calderbank House Hospital near Baillieston was opened in 1919 and functioned as an annexe of Bellshill Maternity Hospital until 1964. When it joined the National Health Service in 1948, Calderbank was placed under the Board of Management for Coatbridge, Airdrie and District Hospitals.
Later, it was a Talbot Association Residential Home, their aim being “To provide care and solace for all destitute men and women in the form of accommodation including homes of rehabilitation to help individuals gain a useful place in society“.
So, no concluding dates relating to its existence. However, the building has been completely demolished and all evidence of the building removed.
Once Glasgow Zoo had also been eliminated, this laid the land open for development, a process which has slowly consumed the ground, and now seen the destruction of an area of forest that once occupied the land next to the Calderbank.
A few years ago, there used to be a gate across the path that led to the old house. It barred the way to traffic, but anyone on foot could just walk around it:
That gate disappeared a few years ago, to be replaced by one which controlled access for construction traffic and builders working on the housing behind.
A similar shot of the same spot shows the gate they installed is now of even less use than the one seen above, and how the wood behind has been removed and replaced by roads and a roundabout:
Another view taken from further along the road shows the extent of the change – all the area to the left of the road used to be wooded, now cleared of trees, it’s just some road and a roundabout. Note the old style lamppost on the right of this view, which shows the how the original road has been rerouted and moved to suit this new layout:
Looking across the area to the left, as seen above, what was once a wooded area shows only a few root stumps and wood chippings on the ground:
The Clyde Valley Community Forest seems to have had no protection from developers, and been a waste of time and money:
Now both subjects of this sign are nothing more than figments of the imagination: